A Moderate Makeover

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

* POST EDIT: I forgot to put on here that I was inspired to finish this bad boy up by Kimba at A Soft Place to Land. It's a cool blog and today there are a billion other great DIY ideas linked up there. Don't do the dishes, check it out!

Katie and Maddie's bathroom was in desperate, desperate I say, need of a makeover. Megan came to help paint.
You might want to cover your eyes and peek through your fingers when you look at the before pictures of our downstairs bathroom.


In one of her books Francis Mayes refers to her little bathroom as "il bruto," or "the ugly." I think ours qualifies for the title too.Obviously something needed to be done about the floor. I can hardly believe I'm showing off those mold stains. The important thing to know here is that we didn't make those; it was like that when we got here. Which may make you wonder how we ever got here...all I can say is, Springbrook Ranch does have other redeeming qualities.

Anyway, I knew this needed to be a bargain basement makeover and stay under $100. Here's how I spent my wad:$5 for oops paint at Home Depot. The girls picked the color, it's a pretty bright for me but I totally don't care. Do you know what oops paint is? It's the paint that was mixed wrong for the original customer's order and is now for sale for CHEAP. I love the whole principle.

$60 for peel and stick linoleum tiles. These are so cool; I cut them to size with my kitchen scissors and then they stick down like, well, stickers. It's like scrapbooking for your floor.

$3 for the white picture frames. I got those at a yard sale last Saturday and cut some more pictures out of my "Pressed Plant" book to go into them.The window mistreatment was free. I was digging through my fabric looking for something to stick up there with upholstery tacks and found the old window thingie I had in Ellie's nursery seven years ago. It's not perfect, but free trumps perfect right now.The last thing the room needs is a small dresser for the girls to keep towels and stuff like tp in. I've been cruising Craig's list for a freebie. We'll see what happens.

16 Responses to “A Moderate Makeover”

  1. First off - what a neat blog! I love your header. The bathroom looks great and the floor looks amazing! Personally, I love the bright color. Oops paint is a wonderful bargain and you can get some really neat colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a huge change! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done on-the-cheap! Oops paint is the best :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheap and cute. That's serious makeover--I'm majorly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I love doing any kind of home makeovers -especially when they're cheap and look that great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blue! Cheap makeovers are my favorite and yours looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, what a difference the new color makes.. incredible job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy squeals~well done!

    Come by and see my Pottery Barn inspired typography basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. So clean and fun-- not to mention cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks wonderful. I didn't know about the Oops paint. I will check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your makeover is magnificent! Oops paint has seen me through many a bargain make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly, this post is every bit as wonderful as The Nester's posts -- or, because it's by you, my creative and beautiful daughter, I can safely say this post is even better than The Nester's posts. True story. Love -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the blue...and for $5 bucks...it's a score...Looks great, you did a wonderful job on this lil makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. now i know who can help me with my girls' rooms!! i LOVE what you did. it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs